Word Up Yo.
After about 2 months of my hiatus from God, I've finally come to senses. I've been talking a lot about Him with a classmate of mine in 271, and... I just can't stand being a hypocritical witness. Sorry God!
But yeah, I also got into a heated debate with my sister on the infaliability of the Bible, and I kept thinking, what do you care Jonno? You don't even read it. So, the last week, I've tried making conversation with Him again, and yeah, it's a bit awkward, but... it's getting there :D The last couple day's I've also been digging into the Word.
Word up yo.
Hey! Lets open up a forum here! What do you guys think Solomon's talking about in Ecclesiasties? Honestly, I'm under the impression that he's saying life is meaningless without God. Those who "toil under the sun" I interpret as those who don't know Him. And all the while, Sol tries to see what life is like as one of them, and realizes that there isn't much point to living. (that's... the simplistic version of my interpretation heehee. Um... yeah, it doesn't get any more in depth than that I'm afraid). My sis argues that Sol's saying that even as a Christian, life can get meaningless, and provided plenty of counterexamples for non-Christians who do live meanginful lives.
Good point I say, and certianly, my english teacher had an extremely fulfilling life, until... the school board betrayed him, but even still, what good is it for him, to have had such a positive impact on so many lives, and spend the rest of eternity in Hell?
Meaningless. :(


8 Comments:
good post yo. yeah, maybe we're supposed to live the tension and the questions and the paradox as hard as that can be... yeah, although i haven't called an official hiatus on god but smells like a duck, walks like a duck...? don't think i've ever read eccles. before but my dad says that there's "nothing new under the sun" so that without going above the sun to god everything's vanity. yeah, i've come to think that maybe i've been brought up with the "gospel of sin management" where we become "vampire christians" where we only want "jesus for a little bit of his blood and nothing else" and it's kinda like "fire insurance", but maybe that's not what the gospel is only about, maybe the gospel is a multifaceted diamond and atonement is only one face of it and our western letal metaphor of penal substitutionary theory (god is judge, we're on trial, jesus is advocate/takes penalty) (which kinda came about when people moved away from the metaphors of slavery, economics, buying, ransom [ramsom theory - think lion witch and wardrobe where lion is killed as ransom] and from language of military of conquest [christus victor theory - people thought the ransom theory gave satan too much power, so they moved from 'make a deal with satan' to 'conquer satan' and also 'conquer death' - think john milton's "paradise lost" with death personified as interesting thing that swallows jesus but death chokes to death on jesus {a bit of a double cross, ain't that punny?}]) is only one part of that face of atonement. and maybe stuff like "infallability" is tied up with modernistic assumptions that are foundationalistic (think descartes, newton - stuff being built ontop of other things like a brick wall where the upper bricks are on the lower foundation) and maybe we should give stuff like beauty and mystery the props they deserve (as opposed to the overvalued scientific method of using doubt to prove and create systems). anyways i think i've blabbed on longer than i'm entitled or qualified to so laters yo.
this is too deep for me AHHHHHH i'm getting out of here :P
Woow... the first time I read your blog... and it's scary!... too deep... get me out of here!... ha ha!...
Egads! Sim! Great post but... paragraphs! paragraphs! They are friends!
I actually don't understand myself when I fall to sin. Despite my attempts to psychoanylize my motives, I can only come to the conclusion that I want to gratify my own desires more than I want to please God, which sometimes, is a contradiction, and other times, is not.
But when it comes down to it, at times, I get tired of "waiting" on the Lord (as my friends have encouraged me to do for my birthday :D Thanks guys!); I get tired, and I lose the discipline, the mindset, and the willpower to run the race. Rather, I just want to sit back and let Satan bring his goonies to entertain me for a bit.
I don't understand how I can be so easily enticed sometimes. Especially when I am -=fully conscious=- of the fact that he (Satan) won't fulfill my needs.
Grace and King = Weaklings!! :D
Start doing some more works or it'll be your kids who'll end up having to pay for you to get into Heaven!
whoops, my apologies for going off the deep end... and for not using paragraphs... and for being such a showoff, although honestly some part of me is still all "me so smart, s-m-r-t" and attention grabbing, which i know ain't good, but it's there.
but now calling myself on it kinda reminds me of the john mayer dvd "i'm timely... xmas reference in the middle of summer"
can't take any credit for the stuff though. got my standup comedy routine from brian mclaren's stuff (books, talk, articles online) - one of the Emergent guys.
still kinda wish i could live the life that god dreams for me, instead of merely dreaming about living it up (lifted that one from erwin mcmanus).
i've heard that you should do and try lots of stuff in your twenties (travel, study, play, get married, don't get married...) then cut out the things you know you aren't good at during your thirties and then really focus in on what you're good at in your forties and fifties (props to our youthpastor for this paragraph).
but it'd still help if you could have your whole life together right now - all your ducks in a line, and really know yourself, and stuff like that (slightly frustrated at both my inarticulacy/inability to transfer ideas/thoughts to words and also real life).
what have i done?! i've turned your comments section into my own personal blog. haha i'm such a nerd. sorry jonny, promise i'll try not to do that anymore.
Hey Hey!
I actually really enjoy reading everyone's comments, in whatever style they are in; no matter how long or how short, because it brings out the unique qualities of what makes us individuals. Well, so long as the content is appropriate. And I don't think anyone here accused you of showing off either. :P
What I think (and your cousin agrees with me too) is that you *are* really smart :D And I wouldn't want you to change your style in any way! But what really impresses me is your ability to retain information! If I could do that... I would be so much better at math... I could pull out math theorems and be like... By Theorem x.x we can assume that A is a subset of B since x an element of... or, by the Lagrange's Theorem we know that... Heck... I'm studying Lagrange's Theorem in both my classes, and I still don't know what it's good for!
But apparently, it is the single most important math discovery.
Haha, to get married or not to get married. Talk about meaningless! j/k. Everyone knows I want to get married by age 21 (oOps, I'm behind schedule...) but... I am single because I lack direction (though I have a purpose), I lack leadership qualities, both spiritually and domestically, and I lack self control.
Whatever happened to Lennon's All you need is love? From what I get out of Jesus' teachings, all you need is love. To forgive those who trespass you, to build and encourage others, to refrain from spreading gossip, to have the compassion to witness to others... to have a succesful marriage...? all you need is love, isn't it? Or am I just pathetically naive?
i *should* be doing my report. But I decided to look up some stuff by following a link from my devotionals..
It's a long read but check it out here: http://www.rbc.org/ds/q0502/q0502.html
P.S. Eprop is a useless way to say that you agree with a person. Just basically what we call props. Xanga gives 2 eprops by default. But most ppl dont even bother with changing it anymore
J Chak
Post a Comment
<< Home