Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Nooo!! NOOO!!!!

So, just as it seemed like I wouldn't get the chance to talk to her, there she was, same place as usual, waiting for the... I don't know what she waits for because she walks home.

But yeah, we got to talking about our Immersion Weeks, how our teaching went and such... and then... I took Steve's advice and pulled the question:

JESUS RAISED FROM THE DEAD! WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT?!

And... yeah, it was a really good conversation. But it reminded me of witnessing to the Mormons... ultimately, she believes that forgiveness is universal, and that there is no Hell. But we talked for a long time, and I walked her to the 11th floor, since she needed to drop off her Narrative Assessment... and then we talked more at the bottom of the elevators... and then she walked me half-way to the train station.

Gosh.

Life sucks.

Life sucks a lot.

So, before me I have two options. I can try and shake her off gently... because.... honestly.......... DUDES! she walked me to the train station almost!!

Or... I can continue having these conversations but avoid all possibilities of pursuing a relationship beyond friendship. She's pretty hardcore in her beliefs... I desperately need some Holy Spirit action.

But yeah... I was pondering if I should offer her a ride home, but... I was confused, and I didn't want to portray that I was interested, because, although I am, I don't know what to do. So I prompted to stop walking and we stood by the bio sci and continued talking. And when it was over, we said goodbyes and I let her walk an extra long distance home hahaha.

I felt pretty bad about it... but... I didn't know what to do!!

Anyway... my kids were great this week. I'm quite sad that Immersion week is over, and although I've had nothing but complaints about my Partner Teacher, I'm really going to miss him too. What you see to your right was a note he passed to a kid who wouldn't stop talking HAHAHA! Oh man... That's classic.

But one thing I've learned to appreciate about his laziness, was that I had complete freedom to do whatever I wanted, teach however I wanted to. So every class, I would do something different and experiment on what worked and what didn't. It wasn't exactly fair to the kids, as they got twisted out of their routine, but at the same time, I think they were a bit refreshed by it. One lesson I did that had a great impact though, was when I had my Pure10's play an Algebra game. I won't explain the rules, but along with it, I had them use colored connecting blocks (toys that you would use for an elementry class). I was afraid that the blocks themselves would distract them from the game itself, but it turned out perfectly! They were engaged in the material, they were learning kinesthetically, and the greatest thing was, they were kids again. Too many times, they try too hard to be cool, and too many factors force them to behave like "adults." But man, in that one moment, they remembered what and who they were. And that very moment defined my own philosophy.

So, kinda like how we had the course and instructor evaluations at University, I did the same thing with my kids, and passed them a form to give me an evaluation. I told them to be as critical as they need to be, and tell me where my weaknesses were.

One comment said: He's a HOT teacher, and makes math fun.

The problem was... although there was no name on it, I saw who handed it in. And it was a boy.

Damn it. I attract all the wrong people. Either very nice, but different faithed women, or underaged men.

14 Comments:

Blogger Havok said...

Who's that chick with the long hair writing on the whiteboard in that last picture? I thought you liked some other girl, or do you like more than 1? :P

3/22/2006 10:10 p.m.  
Blogger jaxsta said...

One of the most important things that teachers should practice is openmindedness... especially when it comes to GLBBT's... a new term I picked up in second semester...

And I like how you are truly acting as a professional... you know, actually sticking to FOIP and all :)

P.S. Saw you at school today, but you went straight into the library before I even got a chance to say hi. Don't you know? Only GEEKs go to the library.

3/22/2006 10:30 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good looking boy band teacher?!?

fabulous orange ice pop!?

perposterous sinuses?

gorgeous electrifying eel knees?!

3/22/2006 10:50 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good looking boy band teacher?!?

fabulous orange ice pop!?

perposterous sinuses?

gorgeous electrifying eel knees?!

3/22/2006 11:24 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Revenge.

And, hey, I say good call on the leaving her stranded to walk home extra far. Better to crush the hopes early than to string her along—I personally would take the former over the latter any day.

HA! Is that whiteboard marker on the note?

3/22/2006 11:26 p.m.  
Blogger Jonny said...

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic about the FOIP :P But... not only did I go to the library, but I also went to the morning lecture!

Leaving her with the extra distance was a good thing eh? Alright, thanks Karen; I was starting to doubt my decision, and think my actions inconsiderate. I'll make note of that in my journal though: Crush Hopes.

PS. That's a white board marker :D Ain't he brilliant?!

3/22/2006 11:47 p.m.  
Blogger Jonny said...

But even still... she was going to walk me all the way to my car!!! Do you know how much I find that attractive?!

GGGAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!

3/22/2006 11:53 p.m.  
Blogger Leo said...

Maybe she only did that so that she would get a ride after...

mind games!

hahahaha

think about it....walk....drive...walk...drive...

3/23/2006 7:10 a.m.  
Blogger Sam said...

Yeah,

Good call on leaving her completely stranded! If she wants you, she'll have to take the extra mile...LOL...
(pun not intended)

But yeah man, remember that the Best has yet to come!

Blessings bro!

3/23/2006 10:58 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SCREW STEREOTYPICAL VIEWS OF PERFORMING JANATORIAL DUTIES AS AN UNDER PAR OCCUPATION. BRILLIANT? YOUR FRIEND COULD'NT EVEN ASSESS HOW LONG THE WORD JANITORIAL WOULD BE.

PS. I would rather have a teacher who was fun and made math hot! Math can never be hot in my eyes.
PPS. I'm suprised your two choices don't include disregarding your beliefs and jumpin right on in! Or in this case, her!

3/23/2006 1:59 p.m.  
Blogger Jonny said...

A fair comment :) Every janitor I've met are good and respectable people, except for one who works in the Oval. However, taken into the context of the situation, and the dynamic of this particular classroom, the note was appropriate and not meant to demean the student, nor janitors in general.

PS. It's a shame you never got to experience math for it's beauty and pleasure. Although basing off your current self-fulfilling prophecy, I doubt you would have allowed that to happen anyway. :(

3/23/2006 5:27 p.m.  
Blogger simply said...

i always assumed the anonymous person was eric or sthn.. i could be wrong...

and i thought that girl from school was a christian?? or maybe i read your blog wrong earlier..

wow that's some long hair there.. i wonder if hair length is directly proportional to hotness..

3/23/2006 6:42 p.m.  
Blogger Havok said...

excuse me, but we should call them caretakers.....you can really offend them by calling them janitors and it's so belittling.....

3/23/2006 8:36 p.m.  
Blogger Jonny said...

I don't really care who anonymous is :P Statements made out of ignorance don't really bother me too much... Just like Havok! What he doesn't know could fill a warehouse!

Zing!

3/24/2006 8:15 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home