Fruits of the Spirit
One of my favorite past times in High School was smoking up. I loved everything about weed, to the point that it's smell would cause my mouth to salivate. Talk about conditioning. And though not many people know this, I kept the ganga habit until about 8 months after being baptised. Afterall, everything is permissable for me, but not everything is beneficial, I will not be mastered by anything. I didn't consider myself being a slave to it, and to this day, I'm still convinced that if one had to choose in this secular society, it's better to get high via weed, than to get drunk.- Weed is not hazardoes to your liver
- Weed is not hazardoes to your lungs (but that's more vs. smoking)
- Weed is not addictive (but it does become habitual)
- Weed does not cause violent behavior (eg. bar fights)
One complication stemming from the cannibus that I didn't agree with was/is the development of the organized crime. A lot of dirty business is being done, and there is a lot of abuse, blackmail, and even blood done by the time the weed gets into hands of "casual" users like mine. However, there is simple solution for that; legalize it, like they did with alcohol in 1933, and have the government regulate and sell the product at an even cheaper price than what dealers are, essentially driving them out of business.
I believe the negative schema entwined with weed was created out of spite and political motives as well... but onto what I really want to get at.
I haven't smoked up since... Some time in first year university? I can't really remember... it's a little hazy, but after much toking, praying and meditation, the Lord had finally convicted me to give up that part of my life. Anyway, today at work this fellow and his wife walk in, and they were so skunk!! Gosh, the smell was so punjant, and the memories all came flooding back. But the odd thing was, was my reaction to it. I used to love the smell, but while talking with this man, and breathing his clothes and his breath, man, my body just rejected it! I could barely take it!
Moral of the story? The Holy Spirit really does work in us when we ask Him to.


13 Comments:
sweet reminder of how the HS works.
alcohol/beer never got cheap..
cigarettes have something like 800% tax too..
but i assume u meant price relative to what dealers would sell at..
I think canada should hold back on legalizing these things.. the USA got pissed when Vancouver legalized the "shooting up" place in Vancouver downtown eastside. Then a bunch of ppl got pissed when Canada aka paul martin legalized gay marriage to satisfy the minorities. It's not always good to be first...
out of randomness: I dont think polygamy would become better if it was legalized. (There's a bunch of mormons in a village in BC that do this. As well as in Salt-lake city, Utah of the states)
Hahaha... town is called Bountiful. Not a much of mormons either, they are break off sect that the Latter Day Saints turn a blind eye too. They are a bad example because they unfortunately have issues with underage girls getting married and some spouse abuse, but its a very unique group. Extremists... remember extremists. I personal dislike extremists aka (Gay lobby, record company lobby, anti-gay marriage lobby, polyomous lobby, religious lobby, Preston Mannings school for Christian politians, MJ lobbists, criminals, jerks, crazy people who have a choice, arrogant software engineers...) Oh just thought I'd clear up the polygamy issue.
R
It's a medical fact. There is tar in tabacco that is particularly hazardous when it's burnt fumes are inhaled. However, there are no such toxic substances within Cannibus. The only thing really is THC (which I forget what that stands for... tetra-hydro-cannibus or something), which is easily metabolized in the liver.
Secondly, by addiction, I was going by the definition that there is evidence of tolerance and withdrawal, or in other words, physiological dependence.
By tolerance, I'm refering to the process which the nervous system becomes less sensitive to the effects of the drug. eg. We become tolerant to alcohol or cigerretes, because after prolonged use, we require more of the substance to acquire the same effect, or "buzz." It is quite the opposite with marijuana, where some people (including myself) report that they become more sensitive to the drug. Hence, one usually doesn't get high on his/her first try, but, after a few trials, they can recieve the effects after one joint. After more use, you could get high off of one hit.
By withdrawal, I'm refering to the symptoms experienced when a person stops using a drug. It's very obvious when one quits smoking cigerettes, that they become easily irritated and frustrated. Likewise, withdrawal symptoms of some heroin addicts can be so bad, they may potentially lead to death.
It is rare and unlikely to see withdrawal symptoms when one discontinues use of marijuana. People don't start killing each other because they're so desperate for another hit (But people certainly do kill others to get the stuff on the street).
So again, I come to the conclusion that the use of marijuana is more of a habit than an addiction.
"it's better to get high via weed, than to get drunk."
Whatever helps you sleep at night!! :P
Ah King, I was hoping for my fellow psych minor to provide backup. Ahwell.
Stopping the use of marijuana is as hard as kicking any habit, such as shaking your leg or going to church, but I say that out of personal experience.
I did more research on UC's medical catalogue search but unfortunately, the only book I had time to skim was: "5-Minute Toxicology Consult" (2000), Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia.
According to these folks:
"Toxic effects following exposure are typically mild.
Death is rare and is usually attributable to trauma arising from impaired judgment."
But contrary to what I've previously stated:
"Comparing marijuana and tobacco smokers, marijuana use was associated with a fivefold increase in carboxyhemoglobin levels and a threefold increase in inhaled tar."
So I stand corrected; there is tar in marijuana.
Another reason why one shouldn't use the product however:
"Decreased sperm generation and motility, increased abnormal sperm, and decreased ovulation may occur."
But even still, "Smoking of paraquat-treated marijuana has not been documented to cause significant toxicity"
What paraquat means, I have no idea. But I do recall my Abnormal Psych prof saying that the health hazards of marijuana to be insignificant compared to cigarettes, because occasional users do not normally smoke them in high quantities like cigarettes.
On the other hand, he was an insomniac, and very well may have been a user himself to ease his own pain, so the opinion may be biased.
It's a controversial debate, one reason being that there has been a lot of anti-pot propaganda encouraged by the government. Nevertheless I think we should agree on one definition if we wish to continue, otherwise this'll be a battle of opinions, which I don't find particularly beneficial for anyone.
Going by yours however, I hope we can agree that the whole "War on (certain) Drugs," as Noam Chomsky puts it, to be hypocritical if they continue to allow cigarettes and alcohol (which are far more destructive socially, psychologically, and physiologically) to remain legal.
I apologize if my stand appears to be "pro-weed," but I am trying to play devil's advocate. Nevertheless, I'm still attempting to present my information in as much of an unbiased and critical manner as possible, so I'd appreciate it not to be labelled as such :)
if legalizing alcohol has led to the widespread use of it everywhere, wouldnt the legalizing of marijuana have the same effect?
At what age should smokin up weed be legal then? 18? 21?
How do they deal with this in Amsterdam? anyone know?
Gosh, that's a humbling question Chak. You really got me thinking with Amsterdam. Don't they have the highest rates of euthenasia?
Would Canada eventually become an abomination like that if we legalize marijuana?
So... if we legalize same-sex marriages then everybody would start doing it and everything will be fine. Death is rare and usually attributable to sexually transmitted diseases and/or the lack of reproductive capabilities. However, it is better than marriage to a donkey.
Honestly, you can argue about whether or not it's BETTER than something else, but that doesn't mean it is good for you. So, alcohol and smoking and gambling are legalized and are bad just like smoking weed. Should we legalize everything wrong just so it becomes fair? Maybe what we should be doing is arguing why alcohol, smoking and gambling are not de-legalized.
As Christians, we do need to be tolerant. And I agree, we should not be forcing anything down anybodys throat, but regardless of it being right in a Christian view or not, legalizing weed is like gambling/alcohol/smoking... they're only meant to be cash cows that are harmful to society as a whole regardless of religious views. And we need to be tolerant of the person, the individual, but NEVER the act of sin. If someone chooses on their own to smoke weed, then that is their choice, we'll do our best to make them see that it isn't good for them, but we won't force them to stop. However, we should never tolerate the act.
That reminds me of an article I read a while back; A private Christian school expelled a student, because her parents were lesbians.
What a wonderful testimony that is. No, you are not welcome within these walls, because your mothers are lovers. Is that really what Jesus would've done? How are we supposed to reach out to that lost family now?
I agree with you Geo, we need to tolerate the person, but we have to tolerate their acts as well IF they are not Christian. Otherwise we only condemn them to where they're already going.
in order to make this comment section more "normal" i shall say this:
Pot is not a fruit. It's a vegetable.. that is if you eat it.. What would happen if one ate marijuana leaves? Your defacation could contain seeds to grow more pot. Thus it would be worth money to druglords who will sell this crud to the hippies of the world and make large sums of profit.
i dunno what i'm writing....
this excerpt is from the bible i *think* or at least quoted once by jonny, "Everything is permissible, but not everthing is beneficial"....
heh, I hope you're not taking the title of this post for the fruit, but rather the change in me to give up weed.
You still get high from eating cannibus, and people do it all the time. They bake it into cookies or brownies and such. The effects are a bit slower though, because the THC needs to be digested first before it enters the bloodstream.
I hear ya Jackson, and I respect that. I don't doubt that you've seen friends take the wrong path because of this drug, but I have seen many friends grow out of the habit as well.
Post a Comment
<< Home