Thursday, March 23, 2006

Fanning the Flame

So today, I was outside with some buddies... and the conversation eventually lead to:

P1: Hey man, would you mind if I grab a little bit for the weekend?
P2: Yeah man, totally.
P1: Here, here's 5 bucks.
P2: F*** you man, I ain't taking your money! Here, don't worry about it.

Something along those lines anyway, and I thought to myself, gosh, wouldn't it be so much simpler if this was legalized? And then I thought: If I was a "good" Christian and Citizen, I would report my friends. Jackson stated an obvious point, "Some people don't smoke weed because it's illegal." And to legalize it would be telling them that it's OK. The thing is, it is already OK. The only thing that says it is not OK for these people, is the law, which means absolutely nothing to them anyway.

The people against weed are parents who've watched their kids drop out of school because of it. Agreed! But some kids do not belong in school. Trying to protect and baby them by keeping them institutionalized in school is not beneficial for them either. Sometimes, kids need to get out, and get a job before they can appreciate the value of education. Forcing it down their throats will only push them away.

The only problem with that model is that our government does not support too much, those going back into education late. And granted, these kids may end up in more criminal businesses after dropping out. Then there are also those kids who do need just a little more pushing to "succeed" in school. So my ideals are with faults too.

My thoughts are, if the government truly had the intention of keeping their citizens from hurting themselves, they would take away the tobacco, the porn, the petroleum industry, and enforce stricter laws against domestic abuse, child abuse and sexual abuse, and people who don't use deodorant.

If my stand for legalizing means I'm compromising my beliefs as a Christian, than does that not mean that Christian's who do not promote the banning of tobacco are also compromisers?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home