Wednesday, December 14, 2005

New Day Rising.

Man, is it ever nice not having anything due.

But a lot has been weighing on my mind recently :( John Poon's messages have been extremely convicting. Or rather, God's been very convicting through John Poon. This last week's message was on the topic of Hurry.

At my request, Long and McQuade's given me a lot of overtime hours during December, however, they denied my request to take a week off for Winter Con. Well, they said I could take the week off, but I simply wouldn't be employed after that. And it's fair of them to say that, as it's store policy, and I don't expect any special treatment for myself. But, I haven't had much of any Sabbath days lately, and I know I'd get a lot out of going to WC. My friends were all counting on me going too :(

(PS, I'm not referring to the overly-lavish Chinese Winter Cons, but a much more affordable Campus Crusade one haha).

So what now...? I want to keep the job, because 1)The hours fit my schedule, 2)It pays alright, 3)I get to meet a lot of musicians, 4)I'll eventually get discounts. This is a great part time job for me... and it's less effort than teaching guitar haha.

Going to WC: I'll 1)Meet up with a lot of old friends, 2)Be challenged spiritually (which... can happen anytime I guess).

Putting this all in consideration, do I lack the faith that God'll give me another job if I quit L&M? Or is my material lust causing me to cling onto it? In any case, I've made my decision, and, I can't afford to lose this job at this point. Lack of faith? Yeah totally. Or perhaps this is the mature'r decision, as I'm giving up the good times I would have?

My dad's came to visit this Sunday. I have to admit, ever since he retired, he's changed... For the better! And I think he's also realized that University, or what you take in University to say the least, is not as essential as he once perceived. One cousin of mine, whom he esteemed very much, receieved her BA in Business from UBC. And for the last three years, she has been an unsuccessful real estate agent. And I tried to explain to him that this whole liberal arts mentality that this continent has been deceived by was actually a sham! Why do we look down on trades people? Why do we stress University so much in High School? Why do we prepare our kids for University, when most graduates of such institutions become unemployed, or at best, work as a bank teller?

Granted, me personally, I loved most of University, and I love the General Studies program believe it or not. But simply because it expanded and challenged my mind. I think it is good to go to University, but not as a means to get a job (Primarily anyway). Not to sound conceited, but I am a little saddened when people stick only to their faculty. For example, engineers focussing only on engineering courses. When there is such an immense wealth of resources and knowledge, why not take advantage of your position, and grasp what else is out there?! I know... eng is a pretty demanding program, and there's not much room left to devote to another study. It's too bad :(

Looking back, my favourite courses were GNST300 (General Studies), RLST205 (Religious), MATH271, and PMAT315 (Pure Math). All first and second year courses HAHAHA, but still... I got the most out of these.

Well anyway, so it was great that my dad came back. He's as spontaneous as I am, and on Sunday, we drove off to Kanaskis for the hell of it, and talked about all this the whole way through.

I hate playing favourites, but one of my guitar students is awesome. She's a pretty defiant Jr. High girl, but by giving her choices, and giving in to her requests sometimes, we've actually made a lot of progress. As I'm sure you all know, I love the blues, and I love teaching blues and rock, (and avoid the new stuff coming out like the plague). But this girl loves Dashboard Confessionals, and, I've been enjoying the challenge in learning these songs and passing them on for her. And because of this, she's also more compliant in learning blues.

UC's MT program rules. Maybe this Tact and Tone stuff actually works. OK guys, lets learn some math.

10 Comments:

Blogger Havok said...

"Well anyway, so it was great that my dad came back. He's as spontaneous as I am"

So That's where you get it from!!! DAH!!! :)

"UC's MT program rules."

Hmmm....Still don't know where I stand on that one...I'm lukewarm..standing on the fence...hehe

12/14/2005 9:30 p.m.  
Blogger simply said...

Yeah, us engineers get blasted by so much technical knowledge we become heartless calculators. Haha j/k. My next post after i finish my exam in two days will be about engineering. =p

I've been reading Case for Faith by Lee strobel as part of my Fellowship small group bible study these last 3 months. During my next workterm on my off-time, I plan to read some more texts on religions and whatever else is out there that has scientific proof of christianity's base beliefs that I hear pastors and others refer to all the time. I think it'll help me defend the faith better.

Hm. what else. I wanna read Commerce for Dummies. Ah yes, I've switched over to listening to classical music radio. I shall be officially cultured within one year assuming 75% efficiency. ;-)

Good trades people make $30/hr. Bus drivers here in Vancity make $25 w/benefits after only 3 years.

12/14/2005 11:11 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'd have to put mupf 205 (305, 405, 5...) on the list too! malcolm rocks - nominated him for the teaching excellence award and someone did come around with questionnaires to fill out cuz he was nominated - hope he wins, it's a travesty that he hasn't won yet (i think), he should be a perennial winner. choir makes for a well rounded education, plus music is good for the soul :)

plus if everybody went into university then who'd be there to do all the construction (or even build the stuff that the engineers dream up) and stuff like that?

read an article in the guantlet maybe a month ago where someone interviewed this one prof and he said the same thing about how he thought that the primary purpose of being an undergrad shouldn't be to land a job.

12/15/2005 12:20 a.m.  
Blogger Leo said...

Whoa...blues and rock and roll...

I should get you as my teacher...i need to learn new stuff.

12/15/2005 7:36 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay for emo!

fyi: dashboard's leadSinger ditched 'further seems forever' after their cd came out, so that's another one to check out if you dig the style. fsf's had a different lead singer on each of their subsequent discs.

fsf is on tooth and nail records - fine purveyors of kinda indie sometimes-christian rock. they started out being the label that signed talent that was too "hard" for christian music and too "christian" for secular. i think they don't care if you're a christian band or not, just that you put out music with a positive message - or at least non-negative.

they're home to people like mxpx, emery, thosand foot krutch... and on their bec records imprint: supertones (started off on t&n cuz they preceded bec), kutless, jeremy camp...

12/15/2005 3:10 p.m.  
Blogger clarissaching said...

"UC's MT program rules. "

Really? Lots of people I talk to dont like it. It sounds hard to juggle school and teaching at the same time. We just did all our school stuff first, then did a chunk of field experience. It's nice to get the continuity instead of 2 days a week.... although, you guys have the benefit of seeing how a school works throughout the year. Meh, whatever works to make a good teacher, right? Glad you like it though! =)I really liked student teaching too.

PS. It's great that you're putting up new songs all the time. =) Sometimes I come just to hear what song you've got on your blog. =)

12/15/2005 4:57 p.m.  
Blogger Jonny said...

Yeah, it really depends on your professors too. So far, all of mine have been great, passionate, and folks with realistic wisdom whom I can look up to for mentors.

But what I really like about the program is infact, the 2 days on / 2 days off idea. Firstly, it allows some kids to realize right off the bat that teaching is not meant for them, so they can drop without having invested one year into the program. Secondly, it takes away from the methodology. Although that may be handy, this allows us to see what's going on in the class, journal and reflect upon it, and discuss it with other peers during our time on campus. I find it totally beneficial :)

Did I mention, I love my profs?

Oh yeah, our library rules too. :D

12/15/2005 9:00 p.m.  
Blogger Josh said...

u have songs on ur blog?!?!
why don't i hear them...... maybe cuz i use firefox....


darn... but man its great that u and ur dad are getting closer~ i can't wait to see u and ur beautiful hair again~

12/15/2005 9:16 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think josh uses firefox cus he thinks hes all "hot".
I never knew wintercon was overly lavish. I think.... the people who go to University primarily to get a job wouldnt really want to "grasp what else is out there".
I wonder how long it takes you to type one of your long posts. They have no erros either. Do you use spell check?

12/16/2005 1:01 p.m.  
Blogger Jonny said...

Good analogy KC

12/19/2005 10:28 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home