Monday, October 24, 2005

Happy Holidays!

Jonny: I hope she's Christian... and single.
Sam: You can't count on that.

Your right Sam :( She's single... but not Christian. Drag man...

Yeah, you bring up a good point Clarrisa, and that is an issue that does concern me when I go into the field... And it's pretty ironic how our society, in it's attempts to protect everyone's culture in this all inclusive state of mind, is in fact, destroying the very essence culture and traditions.

Merry X-mas!

6 Comments:

Blogger *andi* said...

Or, if you sense the principle at your school is a little more conservative you can pray a lot and then do something dangerous like teach about true Christmas anyways. One of my teacher friend's friend did that...taught traditional Christmas hymns for the kids choir to sing for the Christmas assembly. Parents actually really enjoyed it and told her they were glad she brought back some of the traditional stuff. So you never know.

Y'know...the system isn't becoming more inclusive...cuz if it was they would be celebrating Hakkanah, Yom Kippur AND Christmas. (Did I spell any of that correctly?) That would be WAY more enriching than to exclude all of that and just have a celebration over winter and snowmen and candy canes.

10/24/2005 5:07 p.m.  
Blogger Havok said...

Hey, my school's grade 2 and 3 choir is preforming at our annual Christmas Concert and I had an opportunity to hear them practice their songs. Guess what? They actually get to sing Christmas songs!!! Hooray! :)

10/24/2005 7:58 p.m.  
Blogger clarissaching said...

That's awesome! =) I wish I could do that at my school, but my hands are definately tied. I had to run all the lyrics through the admin, and i had to change the lyrics for every mention of anything related to Christ or the nativity and run those lyrics by admin again. I think that most parents would actually love to hear Christmas carols instead of Frosty the Snowman, but if there's even one complaint, my principal says dont do it. Some schools do the all-inclusive thing with songs from all cultures, which is a better alternative to Rudolf and Frosty year after year, i think. If you think about it, though, by eliminating all religious music, you are eliminating a huge chunk of a truly comprehensive music program, especially in high school when sacred compositions make up more than half of the really good reperatoire for both genres. How unfortunate.

10/24/2005 11:10 p.m.  
Blogger clarissaching said...

Or maybe I'm just chicken because as a first year teacher, I dont want to push too many wrong buttons or break any codes of conduct etc. It's definately the toughest part of the job. I think, though, that if I were to disobey my principal, it would make her question my belief system. Yes, I am a Christian and I think we should sing Christmas carols. Yes, I believe that God's law is greater than human law. However, if I lose my job because I disobey my principal, I wont be able to impact my students during the other 9 months of the year. A lot of times, kids and parents can tell you are Christian by your love (not to say that non-Christian teachers dont love the kids cuz they really do... well, you all know what I mean, right?)but yeah... others can tell that there is something different about you. Others can really see Christ in you, and I dont think that arguing your way to having Christmas carols is how to get Christ in schools. So the way I see it, singing Frosty the Snowman is a pittance of a sacrifice for impacting the students and colleagues on a larger scale the rest of the year.
Anyways, after much prayer, that was what went through my head. And I actually feel at peace with that. Maybe in the future, after being in the system for a while, when I have earned more trust and respect, I will venture into these shaky territories, because ultimately, I know that God is bigger than all these things. =)

10/24/2005 11:23 p.m.  
Blogger Jonny said...

It could be both Clarrisa :P And I certainly respect the dilemna of... How much of my faith can I reveal without losing my job? If in your boat, I would've done the same. Does your principle know your Christian?

Yeah, I have witnessed the true glory of your unshielded cable Jackson :D You know, Peavey might call Pearl pickguards: starburst... I'm not sure. Or perhaps your salesman just doesn't know jack. (No pun intended).

10/25/2005 3:43 a.m.  
Blogger clarissaching said...

yeah, she knows. =) But I also understand where she is coming from. =)

10/25/2005 5:31 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home