Holy Crap! A Practicing Catholic!
The other morning, I was working on some stuff in Doucette, and a classmate comes to sit beside me. After a while we got talking on our Lecture Prof's lectures; how he's so... idealistic on this Inquiry Based philosophy.
To be honest, I'm really buying into it. I do agree that the current educational system is failing, and that we have to evolve and adapt in order to reach out to the kids of this present age.
But what's really scary, is how every one of my other prof's back the Lecture Prof. In all my other classes, my other prof's will mention and unanimously support the Lecture Prof... and it suddenly hit me as I was talking with my classmate...
The MT Program at U of C is a cult!!! But it goes beyond just that... All it's radical philosophies, are heavily supported by the government of Alberta! And as I blurt this realization out, my friend widens her eyes and hushes in a repressed voice:
"I know!! It's soo creepy!!"
Haha, but I love it. I love the political discussions we get into during Pro Sem. Our prof there is a wonderful old man, who looks dreadfully cranky, but is in reality, a very warm hearted character! At first, he also seemed foolishly naiive in this overly optimistic program. However, as the weeks pass, the more he shares his wisdom and experience, revealing to us just how scary the current system is. Scary, in terms of just what it was originally designed to do: To control, and assimilate the children of families entering the Industrial Revolution.
Anyway, I won't get into these conspiricies now. It was just funny, when I mentioned "cult," it opened up the doors to let me share my faith with my classmate. And it turns out she's an actual practicing Catholic! Not just a "Catholic" who went to mass for Christmas and Easter, but one who was authentically passionate about Christ!
And I was like, "Holy Crap! A Practicing Catholic!" I think she was insulted haha!
P.S. The Chinese made AC30 is only 1100 dollars...
To be honest, I'm really buying into it. I do agree that the current educational system is failing, and that we have to evolve and adapt in order to reach out to the kids of this present age.
But what's really scary, is how every one of my other prof's back the Lecture Prof. In all my other classes, my other prof's will mention and unanimously support the Lecture Prof... and it suddenly hit me as I was talking with my classmate...
The MT Program at U of C is a cult!!! But it goes beyond just that... All it's radical philosophies, are heavily supported by the government of Alberta! And as I blurt this realization out, my friend widens her eyes and hushes in a repressed voice:
"I know!! It's soo creepy!!"
Haha, but I love it. I love the political discussions we get into during Pro Sem. Our prof there is a wonderful old man, who looks dreadfully cranky, but is in reality, a very warm hearted character! At first, he also seemed foolishly naiive in this overly optimistic program. However, as the weeks pass, the more he shares his wisdom and experience, revealing to us just how scary the current system is. Scary, in terms of just what it was originally designed to do: To control, and assimilate the children of families entering the Industrial Revolution.
Anyway, I won't get into these conspiricies now. It was just funny, when I mentioned "cult," it opened up the doors to let me share my faith with my classmate. And it turns out she's an actual practicing Catholic! Not just a "Catholic" who went to mass for Christmas and Easter, but one who was authentically passionate about Christ!
And I was like, "Holy Crap! A Practicing Catholic!" I think she was insulted haha!
P.S. The Chinese made AC30 is only 1100 dollars...


10 Comments:
you probably heard that the BC teachers have staged a 2 week illegal strike so far..... and may or may not end tomorrow.
Err, I'm not sure why you're so shocked about finding a practicing catholic.
You've done Math and Stats.
All variations of faith based on Christianity will have true "passionate" christians. Whose doctrine is correct is another discussion but all over the world there are true practicing Christians in all sorts of forms.
I never meant to suggest that Catholicism was incorrect in terms of their doctrine, presently anyway.
However, based upon my own experience, every Catholic I've met and know, were only Catholic by birth, going to mass only out of traditional purposes. And unfortunately, their concepts of God are incredibly distant and twisted.
Statistical theory, and experiencial reality, are two very different perspectives, and I am only familiar with the latter. Therefore, I was shocked.
Alright, I'm not out to get you or anything.
I was merely suggesting subtly that we cannot hold prejudices like this.
I know you didn't say how she told you she was a catholic.
So I am wrong to assume that you have a preconceived notion of how catholics are based on the previous ones you met and thus affecting the future ones you'll meat.
Please accept my apologies.
This hit a nerve with me because I went to Catholic schools from K-12. And I know many people from school sincerely looking for answers about God.
I was a "practicing Catholic" that happen to go to a protestant church due to cultural circumstances. (Asian dominated protestant churches and Caucasian dominated catholic churches). I did not learn about doctrinal differences until later.
whoa whoa, no need to apologize mate. :P Sorry, I read over my post again and I realized it does seem pretty cold; That wasn't my intent either.
And just to add to the list, there are a lot of non-practicing "Christians" out there too. So I shouldn't limit my preconceived notions to only Catholics, as there are unions among many subsets.
But yeah, just, in this faculty, there are a lot of folks who want to teach in Catholic schools, but could care less about actually seeking out who God is. In fact... so far, I've only met one person who cared.
practicing catholics are cool... but it seems kind of rough when a lot of ppl consider themselves to be "catholic" because of birth of tradition... i wonder how that started
That's great that there are passionate Catholics (and Christians) to infiltrate the Catholic system, just like it's wonderful to have Christian teachers in the public (and sometimes Catholic) systems. I taught in a Catholic school during one of my practicums, and it was really great. How awesome it is to be able to talk about God at school. In a public school, it's sometimes really hard to be politically correct all the time. I'm starting to plan the Christmas concert (or should I say Winter Concert) and I'm having to change words in songs I want to do, not do traditional carols etc. In the Catholic school, we were encouraged to sing about Jesus' birth and light advent candles etc. I see why the public schools are leaning toward this all inclusive holiday, but as a Christian, it's not really celebrating Christmas without Christ. It just doesnt have the same meaning, or any meaning for that matter.
But yeah... about teachers in Catholic schools not really knowing who God is, i guess in some cases it may be true, whilst in other cases, it's not. I know that many of the teachers at my practicum school had next to no clue about the Bible. My mentor teacher didnt even know where to find many of the books of the Bible. I think the Catholic system (at least in Edmonton) has now made huge changes into the requirements for staffing.
But anyways, it's all good. There are great teachers out there who really just love the kids. PAssion spurs on passion, so i think it's great that your lecture prof is so cool. =)
It's so easy to just accept things the way the are. It's good have have an idealistic picture of what you think schools should be like, because then there is a goal to work towards. Not to say that we will necessarily reach these ideals, but ideals are like dreams, and where would we be without dreams?
Sorry this is kinda incoherant. It's late and i'm tired. Have a great week, though! =)
You know what else is really cool Matt? You practicing your piano. Quit slackin!
I work with several co-workers who are Catholic at the Super Durg Mart. And I guess the only thing I can really say about that is that there are a
Maybe someday people will say, holy crap, a practicing Christian!
Thats one direction. But there is another.
Eric.
Post a Comment
<< Home