Lovers in a Dangerous Time
I remember the very first time I saw this video on Much Music, they said: "Coming up next, Barenaked Ladies!" Being the pre-teen pervert of the 90's, I thought to myself Holy smokes! Sweet! Naked ladies on channel 18!! Or was it channel 22 back then? I can't remember. Anyway, the point is, I was stoked. But, as it turned out, it was this five-piece indie band that I had absolutely no appreciation for.
The first song my guitar teacher taught me, six years ago was exactly this. And to this day, it remains to be one of my most favorite songs to listen to, and to play. (It's also the first song I teach to my students too). Bruce Cockburn, the original artist (also Canadian, and also from whom Starfield got their band name from) said that the lyrics were inspired from watching his newborn son sleep.
It's easy to see how this song is about lovers, but to see it in the expanse that is beyond romantic love, and rather, the love between parent and child, between the best of friends, or simply between one and their passion, this song takes an entirely different meaning.
To me anyway. Whenever I sang this song, I would dedicate it to my cat. Now, I can't help but think of my students each time I listen to it. Anyway, I just wanted to share this most beautiful song, and wonderfully patriotic video.
Oh Canada!


4 Comments:
HAHAHAHAHAHA
i remember the first time i heard of them too... i was like "is that allowed?!" but i also wanted to see them.... bahahahaha
ahhh the lust of the flesh.... haha
good job jelly nuts~
i like that song too...u should play it for me sometime :)
i think that was the song you taught me too!!
or maybe wonderwall first...
but either way
good song it is:D
Yeah :) I would've taught you the Cockburn version though.
If you want to know the Naked Ladies way, give me a shout!
Jeeze... what horrible names to put together... Naked Ladies and Cockburn...
But for the record, you pronounce it Koh-burn.
Post a Comment
<< Home