Saturday, September 17, 2005

Oh Man, I'm going to be a father! Baby on the way!?! What... How?!

Today was simply incredible. Our main acoustic man called in sick, so I was posted in the room pretty much the entire day. I got to work 1/2 hr early too lol, so I wasn't late for the meeting. Yup, perhaps your right Tobi. Maybe my chances of getting fired are slimmer than I thought :P

But yeah, it was odd, I walked in the acoustic room, and right there infront of me, was a guitar I haven't seen at the shop before. I looked at the tag, two barcodes, which indicated it to be used. Larrivee. But it must have been a very old Larrivee, because it had a florentine cutaway (very French). I looked in the sound hole, and guess what?! Made in Victoria! This was one of the first lines of Larrivee! He started building them in Victoria in the early 70's or so, but then moved factories to Vancouver in '82 I think it was. Now, he's expanded and has a factory in California, which now constructs all the high end Larrivee's, and the lower end, satin finished guitars are made in Vancouver.

Well, she was really beautiful. Spruce top, rosewood back and sides, ebony fretboard (Madagascar's outlawed all exports of ebony, so... we won't be seeing much of ebony made guitars anymore! Infact, Martin's are now making their D-28's with rosewood fretboards!! Blasphemy!), not to mention, that cutaway was just so elegant... Nice feeling on the neck too.

After inspecting it, I looked at the clock, 9:45, store was still empty. Alright, time to indulge myself! So I played it... and I played it for the next 20 minutes or so. This one was definately different. Larrivees, to my ear, are very trebly, and sometimes a bit harsh, and cold.

But this one... the tone was well defined, yet warm. Perhaps because it had 20+ years of aging? Very nice guitar, it was an absolute pleasure to play! Price tag: 1600 dollars :( Incredibly good deal, but out of my price range. *sigh* I cringed every time somebody picked it up. Hoping and praying they won't buy it.

I met lots of brothers and sisters today. 3 kids came in, and started jamming some Hillsongs, which I thought was cool :D So we got talking and turns out they're from Airdrie. Anyway, some folks overheard our conversation, and when the kids left, these people approached me, and turns out they were brothers too! And so we got talking, and encouraged each other! haha, the man even encouraged me to buy the Larrivee. He asked me, of all the guitars on the wall, what my first pick would be, and I was honest with him, and told him, I didn't want to tell him, out of fear that he may buy it.

But I showed him, and told him everything about it, and he agreed flatly, it was simply one of the best guitars we had. The only thing better was perhaps the Martin HD-28, but that's 3k, and certainly not something I would consider. (Or the 000-42 vintage, but that's 5k!!! screw that!)

Later this evening, I went to the House to watch a man named Frederick Tomagi play. Excellent Singer/Songwriter! I tried to invite some folks last minute, but... it was just too darn last minute. I'll let you guys know next month when he plays. He is seriously, so talented! His lyrics are extraordinary, and his playing is just phenominal. I was greatly encouraged, and inspired tonight... Think, James Taylor meets Gordan Lightfoot. My gosh, his lyrics are just haunting sometimes.

I realized tonight, as I was listening to his music, that... I love my life. I love listening to live music of unknown songwriters. I love my job, working but also encouraging kids and adults alike to pursue their dreams... and so far, I'm liking school a lot haha. I won't say love yet.

So yeah, I got a girl pregnant... Just kidding, I only wanted your attention. But I am expecting a baby... At the end of the day, I put the Larrivee on Layaway. I need to pay it off in 3 months haha... Wrong move? Perhaps? But honestly, I questioned the Lord a little, and, I didn't feel this was impulsive, nor did I feel uncomfortable with it. Financially, this puts me into some pretty severe debt, but, I'll take this one on faith. I think I was meant for this guitar :)

9 Comments:

Blogger Havok said...

lol i was thinking "how did you get a comment so fast?" but then i realized u got spammed lol...

u know what i did? i just took myself off from being posted on the public access thing..just configure at your settings. i havent' had problems since and it sure beats the word verification :P

9/18/2005 12:54 a.m.  
Blogger Jonny said...

thanks for the tip :)

9/18/2005 12:58 a.m.  
Blogger Geo said...

so what are you going to name the kid when it arrives?

9/18/2005 1:09 a.m.  
Blogger Geo said...

so what are you going to name the kid when it arrives?

9/18/2005 1:12 a.m.  
Blogger Tobi Wong said...

See!! Look at that ... another pearl of discovered treasure :)

What a blessing to work at a great music (guitar) store. God smiles down at ya ^^

Name the kid something really meaningful. Give it some pre - 3 month thought hehe ...

9/18/2005 7:19 a.m.  
Blogger Jonny said...

cool :) No one's told me how big of an idiot I am yet.

9/18/2005 10:39 p.m.  
Blogger Geo said...

you're a really big idiot. :P

I mean comeon. You havn't even come up with a name for your kid yet? sheesh.
haha, jk

9/18/2005 11:53 p.m.  
Blogger Anthony said...

Didn't realize you were such a stud. :p

9/19/2005 1:26 p.m.  
Blogger Josh said...

hey hey hey

a neeewwww car!!! i mean guitarrrrr

rowr

awesum man can't wait to hear it played by those soft hands of urs... hahahaha

9/21/2005 6:58 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home