Friday, January 05, 2007

And I was just getting used to writing 2006

Happy New Year everyone.

So, I trimmed my hair for the first time in a little over two years, and I immediately caught a fever. (The date was officially Jan 2, 2007).

Conclusion? Short hair is detrimental to my health. But that's ok. A friend at work said "Well, I'm sure someone will really appreciate your haircut." I thought he was referring to the CBE interviewers, but he actually meant the person who'll be recieving a new wig. My inner conjectures are always selfish like that.

Well, my residual self image, as Morpheous likes to put it, still has long hair... but I'm slowly getting used to it.

Looks like those dreads will have to be delayed again :)

Back in September, a Telecaster came in that was so beautiful, I just had to have it. The neck pickup had this incredibly glassy tone that literally turned heads. The neat thing about this tele is the reverse control plate, with a 4-way switch instead of a 3. The fourth position gives a meatier in between position.

So, I put it on layaway, and 5 months later, I'm questioning my motives in taking it. Should I? Shouldn't I? (Don't answer that). I could afford it, with student loans, but what would I do with it? The two electrics I have now are more than enough, and certainly bring pleasure to my ears.

I also had a conversation recently, with a (Christian) friend who's a serious gear nut. And he was talking about meeting another fellow who had an impressive collection of guitars, and my friend seemed completely consumed by it. He himself already has some very nice guitars, (1 Taylor, 1 vintage 50-60's SG, few others, lots of rack effects and an AC30), but he wants more! Two more Taylors? What would you do with three Taylors? I mean, personally, I'm biased against Taylors anyway, but I still respect them as guitars. And to have three of them?

So this kind of turned me off on my own potential purchase. It's like... It is pornography in a sense. Makes me sick, but it always seems like a good decision in those moments.

Anyway, like Paul says, anything is permissable for me, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissable for me, but I will not be mastered my anything... or something like that. I thought that was in Romans, but I can't find it at the moment.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

I CAN'T believe you CUT your hair... man I think I may have lost my inspiration to grow mine out...

Its a tough decision. If you lend me your Strat indefinity... then by all means you should get the Tele...hehe.

I don't know man, it is a tough decision. Alot tougher than your decision to get your hair cut...

1/05/2007 10:52 a.m.  
Blogger Havok said...

Jon, you're my friend so I have to tell you this...I think I find you more attractive with your hair...shorter!! :)

.....but then again, now I have to see more of your face so pros and cons eh?!! :P

Hope you're having a great new year buddy...see ya on Campus soon!

1/05/2007 3:57 p.m.  
Blogger *andi* said...

yay for cutting your hair! I agree with the FIRST comment from Havoc. :) And it'll be like you've cleared away the last 2 yrs and are starting fresh this year.

1/09/2007 10:25 a.m.  
Blogger simply said...

guitar porn eh?
Are you cheating on your guitar(s)?
What happened to a one man one guitar world? Monogamy! haha j/k

everything permissable / not everything benefecial... I wish I could recall that a few months ago when my boss asked....

1/09/2007 2:33 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You cut your hair? Wow, why the change? Interesting, you should post a before and after look....lol since graduating I just know you with long hair...its like fpae...lol....different...

2/25/2007 5:25 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home