Tuesday, April 11, 2006

al-jabr wa'l muqābala


Here's a quote from the late 9th century Arabic scholar, Al'Khwarizmi, who was the first man on record to've develop Algebra:

When I consider what people generally want in calculating, I found that it always is a number.

I suppose we had to start somewhere? HAHA!! Ah... just kidding.

Just a quick FYI, the term algorithm was derived from his name, Al'Khwarizmi. And we get Algebra from al-jabr, which translated means "restoration" or "completion."

If not for this man, my career choices would be a lot smaller.

5 Comments:

Blogger Havok said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4/11/2006 8:59 p.m.  
Blogger Havok said...

> If not for this man, my career choices would be a lot smaller.

Yeah and being a secondary teacher was a small career choice to begin with! Zing! :)

4/11/2006 9:00 p.m.  
Blogger Neothan said...

Hey i cant comment on your newest post. I think you rock. Who cares if you arent perfect?

4/18/2006 1:30 a.m.  
Blogger Jonny said...

:) Considering the circumstances, I'd have to disagree with you. It's not about being perfect, but simply being able to help a friend out.

4/18/2006 10:55 a.m.  
Blogger Neothan said...

Well, from the aforementioned post, you state.

>>I like to think I'm a man of my word, but obviously not.

I dont know how else you wanted me to interpret this.

Maybe your problem is that you cant communicate your problem ;)

4/18/2006 9:02 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home