Thursday, April 19, 2007

Relating to Conflict

So, King kindly reminded me that he had bought me a Christmas present, and that I should read it. Many Christians I know have read this already, but Miller brought up one argument that I'd like to share: the idea that we relate to different elements of stories, because we've experienced them. He goes to say,

Every good story has conflict in it. Some conflict is internal, some is external, but if you want to write a novel that sells, you have to have conflict. We understand conflict because we experience conflict, right? But where does conflict come from? Why do we experience conflict in our lives? This helped me a great deal in accepting the idea of original sin and the birth of conflict. The rebellion against God explained humans experienced conflict in their lives, and nobody knows any explanation other than this... (p.31-32)

I think the last statement's a little bold, but I didn't want to think too hard for a counter-example. If anyone has one, feel free to spit it out.

But yeah, I'm liking what I'm reading. One thing I constantly struggle with is the fact that I'm always, ALWAYS, thinking about myself. And I'm glad that he brings this up. "I am the problem," (p.21).

I rage against American materialism in the name of altruism, but have I even controlled my own heart? The overwhelming majority of time I spend thinking about myself, pleasing myself, reassuring myself, and when I am done there is nothing to spare for the needy. Six billion people live in this world, and I can only muster thoughts for one. Me. (p.22)

Yup, I love taking a stance on social justice issues; sexual exploitation, gay rights, fair trade, and so forth. But I'm a hypocrite. And really, what's in my heart right now is worry and jealousy of the success of my friends.

1 Comments:

Blogger Havok said...

The beginning of your entry gave me the feeling like I was reading a paper you'd written for the MT program haha...

Yup, I'm selfish too. I think we basically only have our prespective and someone's got to stick up for number one...that's why I'm so good at taking care of myself! :P

It's important to hold onto God's promises. I think He wants the best for our lives in every area of our lives but it seems like even I can't trust Him with EVERYTHING....the only time I could do that is if I had some control over my destiny or if it was within my hand's reach. I think God is trying to show us some really important lessons through this..maybe He's trying to show you something else and not what I said..but that's what it is for me. Hold onto Jeremiah 29:11 buddy....it's a promise of God's and He never fails short to deliver.

4/19/2007 1:18 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home