Saturday, June 16, 2007

On Lesbians

In efforts to raise support for Harper during the elections a few years back, one of our Sunday School topics was on homosexuality. Same sex marriage = bad. Harper Opposed same sex marriage. Therefore Harper = good. The math was pretty simple. Someone in that class passed out this compilation of articles written by various pastors in North America, voicing their thoughts on homosexuality and same sex marriages.

The rhetoric was clearly directed to a specific audience of conservative Christians, and although some gave an attempt to be academic, the citations sourced were no more recent than the late 70's.

The articles also misused statistics. Some were so blatantly preposterous that it was laughable. For example, (and I quote this only from my memory, but I remember the numbers very well), one out of two women on death row have at some point in their life committed an act of homosexual behaviour.

So, 50% of women on death row are lesbians. Meaning, I've got a pretty good chance that I'll be in serious danger if I meet a lesbian on the street.

The articles promoted fear, as opposed to love; not that I am any expert on love (view two posts down), but I was a lot better at it back then than I am now. At least I think I was... ah, but that's a pretty biased opinion.

Anyway the whole point I'm trying to get to is, I guess I was wrong... Because evidently, lesbians are dangerous!

Four women sentenced over attack on man

1 Comments:

Blogger simply said...

i think i was at that sunday school day....

i think that as christians, we shouldnt be imposing our views on non-christians, which is what happens when we make it law in a partially christian but mostly secular country. Since our country isn't 100% christian, we shouldnt force our beliefs on them. We can suggest our opinions but we shouldnt force it down their throats.

An analogy would be, we can be the candle-light in a dark room. But we shouldnt set the room on fire. Unless we're arsonists...

This is my own opinion. If you find something else that opposes this in the bible let me know..

6/19/2007 2:01 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home